So I went a little crazy buying books the other day. It happens every now and again. I have bookshelves jam packed with writing books. Some of them, like Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, are fantastic. Others, not so great.
However, I am hopeful my newest acquisitions are top notch. In a quest to decide whether an advanced writing degree is right for me, I found several top level books.
Here’s what I grabbed:
- The Portable MFA in Creative Writing by the New York Writers Workshop
- Fiction Writer’s Workshop by Josip Novakovich
- Gotham Writer’s Workshop Writing Fiction. The Practical Guide from New York’s Acclaimed Writing School
- The Scene Book A Primer for the Fiction Writer by Sandra Scofield
- How to Write a Damn Good Novel, both I and II, by James N. Frey (I’ve taken a few of his online courses and he’s pretty great.)
- The Write Brain Workbook 366 exercises to liberate your writing by Bonnie Neubauer.
See, I went crazy!
At any rate, as I make my way through the stack, I’ll post reviews. You can decide if the books are right for you. On another note, if you’ve read any of these books let us know what you thought.
Worth the money and time?